Creamy low-calorie penne


This meal was just a throw-together weeknight meal that I wasn't going to blog. But then I was so blown away by my mum-genius that I simply had to share!  Are you ready? I think this idea has changed my life! Here goes - the creaminess of the pasta is simply made with a combination of low-fat ricotta and puréed cauliflower! No high-fat cream or white sauce - in fact, we're adding another vegetable into the mix! Told you it was good! You can easily add in any veges you have or any style of pasta - my kids LOVED this & I'm sure yours will too!

Ingredients (serves 5 at 250 calories per serve)
200g penne
Olive oil spray
150g rindless bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushroom
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried)
1/2 cauliflower, chopped
100g low-fat ricotta

Method
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add penne and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and return to saucepan.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add bacon and onion and sauté until browned. Add mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir through basil.

Meanwhile, steam cauliflower until tender. Blitz with a hand-held blender until smooth. Add ricotta and mix well.

Add ricotta mixture and bacon mixture to the penne and stir to combine. Serve.