Beef & Cabbage Stir Fry


I'm a real wok kind of girl - I love cooking with it and it always seems to end in delicious results! So imagine my devastation a few weeks ago when my el-cheapo wok broke :-( But - there's a happy ending - www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au to the rescue! This wonderful company saved the day and provided me with this shiny new wok, and I'm in love.

I started out using an electric wok, but since getting a gas stovetop, have enjoyed using a stovetop one, but have opted for the cheaper ones. Well, this step up has blown my socks off! It is huge, non-stick (and this non-stick actually means non-stick!), it's dishwasher safe (LOVE!) and cooks superbly.

In the last week that I've had my new wok, I've used it to make: a stir fry, chow mein, caramelised onion jam, a chickpea and vegetable curry and spaghetti bolognese. Let's just say, I have a new best friend! Thankyou Kitchenware Direct! (And I hope you enjoy the step-by-step photos!)

Anyway, onto today's recipe - this one came from www.taste.com.au. It's a weeknight winner - quick and easy and the kids ate it all. It came in at just 260 calories per serve for 4 serves, but I ended up getting 5 serves out of it, so it was even less than that, but really filling at the same time.  And what did Liam & Robbie think?  Check out the Family Show Taste Test below!

Ingredients
olive oil spray
1 onion, finely chopped
3 sticks celery, finely diced
400g lean beef mince or pork mince
45g packet chicken noodle soup
1/2 cup long-grain rice, raw
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1/2 chinese cabbage, finely shredded

Method
Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

Add mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes.


Add soup, rice, curry powder, chicken stock and water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until well-combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.

Remove lid and place shredded cabbage over top of mince mixture. Cook, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir through cabbage and serve immediately.


And how did Liam & Robbie rate it?  Listen to the Family Show Taste Test here: